Friday, November 5, 2010

Walking...

I am reading a new book... When God Interrupts: Finding New Life Through Unwanted Change by M. Craig Barnes.
It has challenged me a lot. I am still chewing on what I have read, but this one part really stuck out to me. The author is referencing the Israelites right when they are leaving Egypt and the road that He led them down.
Check this out...
When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea.
Exodus 13:17-18
Did you catch that... God did not lead them on the shortest road! Oh my, how often am I asking for God to take me down the shortest, clearest, easiest road? Thinking I know what is best. Here we see that God knew His people. He knew what would make them turn back. Now if you know the rest of the story, they kinda wanted to turn back a lot of times. And when I read their journey I think this had to be the harder way, but clearly, not the way that would have made them change their minds and actually return!
And then it gets better. Check out those last 5 words... "road toward the Red Sea." One of the moments where we get to see God's amazing omnipotence, His amazing power and control over all things. And as I continued to read in the book there were a couple of quotes that were so great... He took them on the road "where they would have to learn to trust Him."
I look at my own life and I think that is exactly what He does with me. He takes me down the road that He knows will build my trust in Him and that road always leads to getting to see His power!
And with that road means that I have to "learn how to follow. Central to that task is giving up the expectation of knowing where we are going." WOW... to have faith that where He is leading is what's best.
Not sure what the road sign says right now... not sure what the next big parting of the Red Sea will look like... but, I'm walking!!!

2 comments: