Saturday, April 23, 2011

We Are NOT Alone!


Have you ever felt alone?  Like God had forgotten about you? Like He was missing what was going on around you or TO you? Like He was far away? Maybe even abandoned or forgotten?
This morning I was reading in Psalm 22 and was caught by how much the text sounded like words that Christ spoke during His crucifixion.

David... Psalm 22:1...
My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
 Why are you so far away when I groan for help?


Christ... Mark 15:34...
Then at three o’clock Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” which means “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?”



Yet it appears as though David is feeling these same feelings in Psalm 22.  So I decided to jump onto soniclight.com to check out Dr. Constable's notes on Psalm 22. I loved this quote from James May in regard to the correlation of the two verses...

'He (Jesus) joins the multitudinous company of the afflicted and becomes one with them in their suffering.'

I just love this.  Jesus "quotes" David and this picture of Him saying... I know, I get it, I am feeling the things that you feel and will feel, people of this world.

What a sweet and precious picture and gift. Our Savior, the one that died in our place, paid our penalty, chose death to redeem us... He gets us, He understand us... We are NOT alone.
I need this reminder a lot of times.  When I am in the midst of questions of why, or when will this end, or do I really have to walk this road... I am comforted by this truth in Hebrews 4:14-16...

So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.


And I was also reminded that the disciples, on "this weekend" that we celebrate this gift of having a High Priest that knows, they were in the midst of grief this day.  Wondering what happened to the one they loved and followed.  Believing that it was all over.  Believing they had been abandoned and forgotten.
I pray that when we feel like... David, Jesus and the disciples... like it's all over, like it's TOO MUCH, that we will trust Him to give us mercy and grace to endure so that He will be glorified. That we will say.... "Not my will but yours be done!" (Luke 22:42)

No comments:

Post a Comment