Sunday, November 4, 2012

New Zealand: Day 5... glacier hike!

This was one of my favorite days.  I got to go on a glacier walk.  I was a little nervous about it.  They were very clear that it could be dangerous and that you needed to be physically fit.  I know I am not at all right now and so I wasn't sure, but decided to go for it any way!
We took a helicopter up to the glacier and then hiked farther up. It truly was as blue as it looks, both the sky and the ice.  Our guide kept saying... "Y'all don't understand how epic this day is.  We only get 3-4 of these kind of days a year!" SO AMAZING!!!


awesome waterfall from snow melting

 crampons!



climbing up



squeezing through ice walls



 if you look close you can see another group at the top, that's where we were

you can see the group at the top where we had been

our guide and his pick ax







No comments:

Post a Comment