Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Book Finished... One Thousand Gifts


I finished reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.  It is a book I would highly recommend.  I struggled some with the way that she writes, not sure my brain functions quite like hers.  But she has a great sense of perspective and is very deep in her thoughts.  Here are some of the thoughts from her book that got me some good thinkin'!

"Life is brief and it is fleeting but it is not an emergency." -p73

"How to lay the hand open for this moment's bread - when it will hurt." -p80

"I pay tribute to God by paying attention." -p111

"Worry is the facade of taking action when prayer really is. And stressed, this pitched word that punctuates every conversation, is it really my attempt to prove how indispensable I am? Or is it more? Maybe disguising my deep fears as stress seems braver somehow." -p143

"Are stress and worry evidences of a soul too lazy, too undisciplined, to keep gaze fixed on God? To stay in love?... Isn't joy worth the effort of trust?" -p147

"Much of the worry in my own life has been a failure to believe...a wariness to thank and trust the love hand of God." -p149

(I could put a ton more quotes from Chapter 8, I think it was my favorite!)

"God needs knees more than hands." -p168

"True lament is the bold faith that trusts Perfect Love enough to feel and cry authentic." -p176

"A life contemplating the blessings of Christ becomes a life acting the love of Christ." -p184

"It's impossible to give thanks and simultaneously feel fear." -p203

"Will I remember this, not wanting to spend an hour's absence from Him?" -p219

And this is where my heart has stopped to ponder.  I want to remember, I want to stay connected.  I want to go deeper and to do that... I must give Him space.  I must make habits of going to Him with all things.  I must run to Him first.  I must talk with Him, share openly and honestly with Him.  I must trust Him, believe Him.  I am trying to practice being thankful in all things.  Of recognizing what He has put in each day for me to see.  I'm also trying to be more active in going to Him, not just in the morning or when I feel helpless, but knowing I need Him in all things.  It's gonna take time, and practice, but I know it will be worth it.

What is the last book you read and what did you like about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment