Monday, May 30, 2011

The Main Thing


1 John 2:15
Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.

This verse got me to thinking... what things does this world offer me?  And I just started writing...
quick fixes, drugs to not feel, distractions from reality, obsessions to keep me from time with God, hobbies to fill my days, activities to distract, worries that make me want to grab for control, drugs not to feel, help to get what I want, answers for dreams that have not been fulfilled...
I knew that I could keep going but most of those were enough to stop me in my tracks.  To make me really think!  Am I allowing this world to suck me and distract me from why I am really here?
When I think about the question, "Why am I here?" It isn't hard to get lots of answers flying around... to love others, to be successful, to make a name, to do something that counts, to make a difference, to get a lot of money, to be married, to be happy, to procreate, to not do anything stupid.  So many options for the answer. And yet at the end of the day... for me... it's to know God and to make Him known.  And yet, I get distracted by all the enticing things of this world.  And not that all of the things of this world are bad or wrong, but if they get in the way of why I'm really here, I'm missing my purpose.
And I don't want to miss the most important things.  I don't want to miss the chance to bring God glory and to know Him as deeply as I can.
What of this world entices you away from the main thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment