Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Book Review: Unbroken


I had heard a ton about this book being so great and so I decided to read it.  It is by Laura Hillenbrand who wrote Seabiscuit.  It is a true story about a World War II POW.
I typically don't read these kind of books.  I'm not a huge reader any way and so most of my reading is non-fiction books that spur me on in my walk with the Lord.  When I read fiction they are typically Francine Rivers books or ones that are similar.  And so I was not sure how I was going to like this book.
BUT...  The preface had me hooked!  I was drawn in and captured and never wanted to put the book down.
What these men went through is truly unbelievable.  Being the skeptic I am, if I hadn't seen a picture of the real person alive today, I would have thought she embellished at least some of it.  These men endured hell on earth.  There is just no other way to describe it.  And I just don't think I would have made it past the sharks!


The only thing I think I wrestle a little bit with is the title.  I know I may be treading on some toes here.  So maybe stop reading if you don't want to be ruffled.  But, I don't think Louie was completely unbroken.  For sure he was determined to stay alive and he fought, he fought hard, and he survived. But our goal in life is not to be unbroken.  If anything it is to be broken of our self will, our self reliance.  We are to grow more and more dependent on the One who has all that we need.


The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Psalm 51:17


I feel like I could go on and on about things I learned from reading it, but I don't want to give any of the book away.  So I will refrain from making all the comments I want to on Louie and his brokenness vs unbrokenness.
SUFFICE IT TO SAY...
I think every person should read it.  It makes you thankful for the men and women who sacrifice and sacrificed their lives so we can be free.  It challenges you to think about what you believe and what keeps you from being broken.  What could you survive through? And, are you willing to be broken so that you can be whole in the One who sacrificed His life so you could be saved?
GO GET YOU A COPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment