Monday, August 15, 2011

Witness OR Witness Protection?

from John Belle on ToonPool


"But you are my witnesses, O Israel," says the Lord. Isaiah 43:10aa

So this week in Breaking Free, the last week actually, we are talking about being a planting for the Lord, displaying His glory.  I will plan to do a post about that too, but this post rests on the VERY beginning on Isaiah 43:10.  Here it says that we are His witnesses.  And this got me to thinking about the idea of being a witness and what that means.

So I looked up the word on dictionary.com.  Here is what it said...


wit·ness

  [wit-nis]  Show IPA
verb (used with object)
1.
to see, hear, or know by personal presence and perception:to witness an accident.
2.
to be present at (an occurrence) as a formal witness,spectator, bystander, etc.: She witnessed our wedding.
3.
to bear witness to; testify to; give or afford evidence of.
4.
to attest by one's signature: He witnessed her will.


Now I got to thinking.  Does my life really give witness to an active, living, loving God?  Do people see, hear and know that God is real because they experience Him in my life? If I give testimony, is there any doubt that He is real? (And funny that I have never connected testimony in my head that way!)  Do I attest to God, His sovereignty, His love, His righteousness by my words and actions?
Or am I acting like I am in the witness protection program.  Hoping people don't notice me or who I am connected too?  Am I afraid of what will happen?  Who I will upset or disappoint?
And the answer to all of the above is SOMETIMES.  And that's not my favorite answer. I want to be bold.  I don't want to be like Peter who denied Christ because of fear.  But oh I do so often relate to Peter!

And so my prayer is that I will love God more.  That I will know Him deeper.  That I will be more bold and courageous for Him and His truth.  That I will bear great witness and that I will not seem as though I am in the witness protection program!
And I just realized... as a witness for Him... I am protected!  Check out Isaiah 43:13!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment