Monday, October 5, 2009

"THINGS"... ie: Commandments, Laws, Regulations, Decrees, Instructions

I have been spending a lot of time in the last months with Psalm 119 attempting to memorize it. I reached the 1/2 way point today!! (I have wanted to quit on it a lot the last couple of weeks, it feels impossible, but trusting the Lord and taking it one day and verse at a time.) The entire psalm pretty much says the same thing over and over again... obey God's ________! The title lists all the "things" that go into that blank, many times over throughout Psalm 119. In reading it over and over I have continually asked myself... what exactly are are all of these "things"?
I have also joined a group that is attempting to read the entire Bible in 90 days. I say attempting, because true confession is that I already got behind and decided to jump ahead to catch up with them. The reading over the last couple of days has been about the kings and repeatedly it says that they did what was evil in the sight of the Lord because they did not do what David had done. In 1 Kings 14:8 it says, "But you have not been like my servant David, who obeyed my commands and followed me with all his heart..." Again the question is asked... what are the commands, the "things?"
Then today as I was journaling and thinking about these things I was gently reminded by the Lord what these "things" are. I say gently because I feel a little dumb that I had not gotten it before, and yet His patience with me is so amazing! He took me to Matthew 22:34-40, the last verse says, "The ENTIRE law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments." I am suppose to love the Lord with all I have and love my neighbor as myself. That's it, that's the "things" I am suppose to obey, the "things" I am suppose to follow with all my heart.
I am thankful that the Lord has sweetly answered my question so clearly, but now the reality of what that means. These "things" are NOT EASY! And I know that I can not keep any of His commandments without His strength, His Spirit, Him working them out in me.
So... today I rest in HIS GRACE and pray for Him to continue to draw my heart to LOVE HIM more and therefore to be able to love my neighbors.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Love your thoughts about things...good word on that!
    2. Love more the background you chose for your blog...super cutie as usual.
    3. REALLY love the name you chose and your profile pic, how cute and prophetic! :)
    Love that you are sharing your wise, and funny thoughts with the rest of us!
    Love you mean it!! Mel

    ReplyDelete